Strong Foundations — Amazing Futures
Presbyterian Ladies' College was founded in 1875 in East Melbourne with an initial enrolment of sixty students. Among the girls in that first intake were Catherine Deakin, sister of Alfred Deakin the Australian Prime Minister, and Helen Mitchell who later became one of the most famous women in the world - opera singer Dame Nellie Melba (Ellen).
When The University of Melbourne opened its doors to female scholars in 1881, many were former students of PLC, notably Constance Ellis, who was the first woman to receive the degree of Doctor of Medicine from Melbourne University; Flos Greig, the first woman to be admitted to legal practice in Victoria; Ethel Godfrey, one of the first female dentists in Victoria; and Vida Goldstein, suffragette and the first woman to stand for election to the Australian Federal Parliament.
By 1938, with student numbers at 600, accommodation at PLC East Melbourne was at capacity and the search began for a new site for the school. “Hethersett”, a property with extensive grounds in the then outer suburb of Burwood was deemed the perfect location.
The following year the Junior School moved to Burwood and in 1958 both the Senior School and Boarding House also relocated.
This beautiful 15 hectare campus now houses state-of-the-art educational facilities for girls and staff.