Strong Foundations — Amazing Futures
Year 9 is a year of self-discovery in an academic and personal sense. Core subjects are maintained, together with at least one language, whilst the introduction of electives allows for a broader choice of subjects which encourages girls to pursue areas of interest.
Year 9 is an opportunity to try new subjects, experience extra curricular activities and engage with our speciality OutLook.9 program.
The Year 9 Curriculum
|Core Subjects||Elective Subjects||Additional Electives||Choice of One Language|
|Christian Studies||Art||Advanced Computing and Movies||Chinese|
|Health and Physical Education||Drama||Commerce: Money Matters||Indonesian|
|Mathematics||Music in Multimedia||EAL||Latin|
|OutLook.9||Music Performance||Food For Life|
|Science||Textiles and Fashion Design||French|
|Nature of Australia|
Outlook.9 Speciality Program
Understanding that girls in Year 9 have unique developmental needs, OutLook.9 was devised to respond to these important needs. It is a special learning adventure program that enables girls to explore the Victorian bushland, PLC’s wider local community and the heart of Melbourne’s CBD.
The program also helps girls step outside their comfort zones, expanding their horizons in different environments to enhance their creativity and problem-solving skills while developing a strong sense of independence, confidence and resilience.
There are five core components of OutLook.9:
- OutLook.Outdoors: A five-day outdoor adventure at Lake Eildon in Term 1 sees students plan and prepare for their wilderness experience before they carry all their food, clothing and gear by canoe, sea kayak and on foot. Traversing a range of water and land activities with a different base camp each night, the girls develop strong bonds, discover personal strengths, conquer challenges and gain a new “OutLook” on themselves and the world around them.
- OutLook.Learning: In either semester 1 or 2, students explore a range of topics designed to raise their awareness of the broader community and personal development issues such as civics and citizenship, money management, consumer insights, mobile phone plans, scams and more.
- OutLook.Local: In groups of six, girls are encouraged to be active and engaged members of their local community, the City of Whitehorse. Students explore key locations and local businesses and learn how to use public transport to discover new environments. At the end of the week, students present their findings to their class.
- OutLook.Community Action: Term 2 sees the girls undertake placements at local organisations such as kindergartens, child care centres, aged care facilities and neighbouring primary schools. Once again, they travel independently and present their experiences back to the class.
- OutLook.City: The program culminates in Term 4 when, after a week of on-campus preparation and planning, the classroom is transported to the bustling heart of Melbourne for five days at the Scots’ Church Hall. It’s here that students are introduced to the City of Melbourne through an orientation program that leads them to significant locations such as the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Shrine of Remembrance. In groups of six, girls develop their own cross-curricular city project or self-initiated project (SIP) under the guidance of their teacher mentor, before presenting their outcomes to parents and the rest of their cohort at a special presentation evening.
Year 10 is a dynamic and exciting year for PLC students. It is here they continue to mature and take on greater responsibility for themselves and those around them.
Outside the classroom girls have the opportunity to participate in new sports, join clubs, work in the SILK (Service, Initiative, Leadership and Knowledge) program, become involved in Social Action, participate in Bright Stars and many other programs whilst at the same time preparing to choose either the VCE or IB for Years 11 and 12.
Year 10 students have their choice of Year 10 camp with a range of exciting activities and locations on offer.
Year 10 Guide to Course Download
The Year 10 Curriculum
|Core Subjects||Elective Subjects||Choice of One Language|
|English||Business Information and Technology Systems||French|
|Health and Physical Education||Classical Studies||Indonesian|
|Medical Mysteries and Marvels|
|Textiles and Fashion Design|
|World Food Traveller|
Year 10 - Bright Stars program
The Year 10 Bright Stars Program assists girls in their transition to the senior years at PLC. Through a series of carefully considered and planned activities, the Bright Stars program aims to equip them with the knowledge and skills needed to support their long-term personal health and wellbeing, and maximise their academic potential.
Early in Year 10 a specially designed Bright Stars day provides girls the opportunity to be inspired by motivational speakers and engage in a number of activities such as mindfulness, physical activity, self defence and personal wellbeing.
During the evening, a guest speaker explores the importance of sleep for a young person’s learning and wellbeing, outlining practical tips on how to improve sleep hygiene.
There are also two Year 10 Careers Day that focus on job skills and give girls practical advice and tips for:
- Looking for work
- Writing a resumé
- Calling and speaking with potential employers
- Preparing for and undertaking job interviews
The workshop outlines employee rights and responsibilities in the workplace and includes a one-to-one interview role-play exercise.
Year 10 - SILK program
The SILK Program (Service, Initiative, Leadership and Knowledge) is a core component of the Year 10 curriculum and is closely linked to PLC’s Personal Development Program. It aims to put into individual practice the College’s philosophy of “leadership through service”.
The program celebrates diversity and originality and asks students to nominate an area of school life to which they would like to contribute. Limited only by the girls’ imagination, popular recent examples include being a Year 7 camp leader, helping backstage at a theatre production and editing a House magazine.