When is the deadline for applications?

There are no deadlines for the receipt of applications, however, we would recommend submitting an application as soon as possible as we are not always able to accommodate late enrolment requests.

Can my daughter apply for Year 12 entry?

Our last entry point is at the beginning of Year 11 (if a place is available), although we do prefer students to enter in Year 10 or below and only in exceptional circumstances do we offer places at the commencement of Year 11.

Our preferred entry points for Senior School are Years 7 or 10.  While a small number of students do enter at Year 11, experience shows that those who commence earlier benefit enormously, both academically and socially.  This extra time is valuable in consolidating and strengthening study skills in the Australian system before girls commence the two-year VCE or IB courses.  

Subject choice for Year 11 is made by mid-Year 10 level and students already in the school have the advantage of having developed a good understanding of the subjects available to them.  Some Year 10 students also choose to study a Year 11 subject, making their workload in Year 11 or 12 slightly lighter.  Adjustment to a new school, a new country and a new way of life, as well as making new friends, takes considerable time and effort.  

What is the difference between an overseas student and an international student?

An Overseas Student is a student who has been studying overseas but has an Australian passport, visa or Citizenship, allowing them to study in Australia.  An International Student is a student who does not have an Australian passport or visa.  An International Student will be issued with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) after enrolment and will need to lodge a visa application online with the Department of Home Affairs.

My older daughter is already at PLC, so will there be a discount for her younger sister?

Yes.  PLC offers a 10% sibling discount on the basic annual tuition fee to a student while her older sister is enrolled at the College.  This discount is not offered to a family in conjunction with any other fee concession.

When should my daughter sit the AEAS assessment?

Students who have been studying in a school outside Australia, will be required to sit an assessment with Australian Education Assessment Services (AEAS).  AEAS have associates in various countries and their contact details are available at:  www.aeas.com.au  Assessments should be taken in February of the year prior to entry, as they are valid for up to 12 months.  A reassessment can only be taken after 3 months.

What is the AEAS pass score?

There is no pass score for the AEAS assessment. However we do prefer that students are in the upper-intermediate level. Scores show whether students are below average, average or above average – against students in the same year level.  The AEAS test is an assessment of student’s actual abilities in:  English proficiency; mathematical reasoning; general ability pass score.

AEAS test results are available seven working days after the test date and these, together with the essay which is part of the assessment and also the latest school report, are reviewed at PLC.

What is ELICOS?

ELICOS (English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students) is designed to teach the English language skills required for an Australian school.  When a student has been taught in a non-English speaking school, it is likely that they will be required to undertake ELICOS, at a language centre in Melbourne, prior to attending PLC.

Which English language centres do you recommend?

For students requiring boarding, we recommend Avalon College.  For students with accommodation in Melbourne, we suggest Hawthorn Language Centre, Melbourne Language Centre and SACE English Language Centre.

Do I need to arrange OSHC for my daughter?

Yes. All International Students must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full length of their student visa.  OSHC must be valid from the date the student arrives in Australia, until they leave Australia.  OSHC providers include Allianz Global Assistance, BUPA Australia, NIB, Medibank Private and Australian Health Management.  A copy of the Policy Certificate will be required before a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) is issued.

Overseas or local students need to arrange their own medical insurance cover with Medicare. Private health insurance (to cover hospital and the other expenses which Medicare does not cover), might also be considered. 

Can international students apply for a scholarship?

Yes. International Students are eligible to apply for an entry scholarship.

Can my daughter live with a family friend while she is studying at PLC?

All students must either live with a close direct adult relative (in Melbourne) or in the PLC Boarding House. The close direct adult relative must speak English, be at least 21 years of age and remain in Melbourne while the student is at PLC.

My daughter will live in the Boarding House. Will she need to bring her own bedding?

Sheets, pillows, pillow slips, towels and woollen blankets are supplied and laundered by the Boarding House. Students do need to provide their own doona (quilt) and doona cover.  

A Boarding Handbook is provided prior to entry and lists which items a boarder should bring.

Can my daughter leave the Boarding House early to catch a flight home?

No. Holidays or flights home must be arranged well in advance to make sure that the student will not miss any classes at the start or end of term.  Depending on flight times, this may mean flying home the day after school finishes.