PLC is a leading ELC to Year 12 Christian independent day and boarding school with a focus on the development of the whole person that includes an outstanding academic tradition, an international outlook and strong pastoral and co-curricular programs.
We are seeking to appoint Debating Coaches to guide and mentor students on how best to prepare for their debates in the Debating Association of Victoria's Schools Competition. The Debating Coach supports and encourages students to become critical thinkers and to articulate their views with confidence and engage with opposing ideas.
As a coach you will be employed for the remainder of the Senior Debating season for 2022 and for 2023, which involves attending debating nights to observe your allocated Grade. In addition to this, you will be required to run coaching sessions from 3:45pm to 5:15pm a week prior to each round. Casuals will be paid for a minimum 2 hours for each coaching session.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coaching and mentorship of the Years 9 to 12 Senior Debating teams
- Supervision of Years 9 to 12 students on their debating competition evenings
- Collaboration with other coaches to improve the standard of debating at PLC
- Tailor coaching plans for the grade and skill level of the debaters
- Provide regular feedback to the Debating Coordinator on results and individual performance of teams
- Promote a culture of respect, fairness and collaboration within teams
The successful candidate will have an ability to understand and model effective debating techniques and to identify the skill level of students and deliver targeted coaching sessions. Effective communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to people at all levels and from different cultural backgrounds will be essential. A background knowledge of the Debating Association of Victoria debate guidelines will be highly regarded.
PLC seeks to appoint staff who can support the Christian teachings and ethos of the College. All staff must commit to a culture that supports and embraces Child Safe Standards. The successful applicant will be required to hold and maintain a valid Working With Children Check (for Employees).
Download the complete job description here: Debating Coach (Senior School)
How to Apply
- Download and complete the application form Application for Employment – Non-Teaching Staff from the PLC website.
- Prepare a comprehensive letter outlining your suitability for the role, as well as your resume and university transcripts.
- Email all of these documents to the Principal at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications close 5pm Monday 13 June